Monday 21 February 2011

ipad

I had an ipad home this week and I am struggling with the pros and cons of this device. It is easily more accessible than the ipod. You can type, read, zoom and search easily due to the larger screen but unfortunately it does not have all the benefits of a laptop. This somewhere in between device has good interactive benefits but as it cannot be a stand alone device in terms of typing and recording documents why would schools invest in them?

One school who have done just this is Cedars School in Greenock. Pupils returned to school in Aug 2010 to find they all had been given an ipod. This mammoth purchase by the school has been justified by the amount of interactive learning they can do across the curriculum. To read the article in TES Scotland click here.

I was looking after a 9 year old autistic girl this weekend and found she became animated and enthusiastic when using the device. Although she cannot read or write and was able to interact and play a phonics game. She did not become down heartened or upset when she could not complete the game but carried on. She also tried a flying pigeon app which involved hand eye coordination, hand dexterity, left and right. Although her scores were not amazing she was definitely learning.

Perhaps this is a way forward for apple, to design software and devises for children who struggle to interact with the world. Could you imagine if apple made computers for wheelchairs or devices for children to communicate in the classroom? They would have personal wi-fi, interactive media, buttons for everything and would be aesthetically pleasing.

The problem I have with the ipad is that I feel it is a solitary, stand alone device which is very expensive. The reason it works so well in both the above cases is because they have one each. Perhaps I am greedy but if I invest in an ipad i want it to do more. I want it to have a camera, a dvd drive and access to all windows programmes.

3 comments:

  1. A well written post that shows you have gone past the glossy part of the device to look at what it can actually offer. The next device will answer some of your last wishes but at the moment I agree it is the in between device that is not my one stop shop. I just don't know if I will ever get to the one stop shop part because I want a device to fit in my pocket and I want one large enough to work with.

    Now I need to teach you how to use Pages and Dropbox and I think some of the things might come to life.

    I would be interested in finding out more how the iPad could be used for inclusive education for all. Next time you are looking after your little friend then please get the iPad from me again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you link to the recent TES article on the ipad. I was also interested to hear how the autisic child appeared to benefit from using the ipad. There are devices/software/programmes to enable children to communicate in the classroom but like all other resources you require to evaluate and decide if the resource will have an impact on children's learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have thought of something else.... I would also like it to have a USB port!

    Yes I am going to look at the apps online for additional support needs first so I know what to download before hand next time.

    ReplyDelete