Monday 21 March 2011

Crazy Talk

We experimented with Crazy Talk in class last week. This is an expensive software where you can make 2D images appear to talk and come to life.
Here is a clip taken from you tube where the person has used Crazy Talk in order to introduce healthy eating.


We can see on this video that there is two vegetables talking. This is an added benefit of Crazy Talk 6. You can add two animated faces to one image. Looking reflectively at this video you can only clearly hear one of the voices and the pepper has a better mouth than the turnip. The image of the cow and the beef label might also be controvershall because not all children know where meat comes from.

This refers to the experience and outcome:
By investigating the range of foods available I can discuss how they contribute to a healthy diet.
This is from The Health and Wellbeing topic under Nutrition.
Here is my video made with Crazy Talk 6 so I tried to pt two animations in.


As I did this myself I used the computer voice for Petzi and my own voice for Nessie. I found the programme easy to use and recording your vocal very easy. You dont need to use audacity you can record straight onto the programme. The only difficulty I had was saving and exporting the file but thankful my lecturer managed it the next day. On reflection I think Nessie is animated better than Petzi because you can see his eyes better. Using your own voice also works better.
My video falls under using ICT to ehance learning.
I explore and experiment with the features and functions of computer technology and I can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts.

I  like this resource but think it is too complicated for children to use solo. It has benefits lower down the school because it allows you to humanise pictures, drawings and images for children. By using personification with younger children you make them relevant to their lives. Young children are very egocentric and Curriculum for Excellence mentions in its priciples making learning relevant to children. They also believe that teddies, fairies and dragons are real and regularly talk. It is the teachers role to encourage this curious and creative side within the nursery setting. As the voices are easy to record with a little help young children could put their own voice to images easily. This programme would also be good when you are doing context learning such as ' faires have started to live in the nursery garden'.

It is a shame that this programme is so expensive as I don't see many educational establishments buying it.

I have uploaded Nessie and Petzi talking to my Austrian exchange blog and hope to get some feedback from the staff there. This should hopefuly inform me if the children liked it as much as I think they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment